Waterways of Sussex
Baybridge Canal

Baybridge Canal was completed in 1825 by Act of parliament and was less 3.5 miles in length. Yet it consisted of a number of occupational crossings (bridges etc) and two locks. The canal served a prosperous area of farmland noted for its wheat and timber production. The act of parliament to construct this canal was sponsored by Lord Selsey and Sir Charles Burrell owner of nearby Knepp Castle, both had interest in other Sussex canal projects, most notably was the Portsmouth & Arundel Canal.

The Canal derived its revenue from the transport of manure, coal and marle (chalk) and the export of wheat and timber. It supply of water principally came from Pike brook a tributary of the Adur and roughly followed the brooks course. The terminal wharf was constructed a third of a mile west of West Grinstead parish church near the Worthing to Horsham turnpike road (now the A24). Limekilns and Coal butts were built on the side of the wharf. 

The first lock was at the entrance to the wharf and was of brick/stone construction and still existed in the 1950s.

West Grinstead Lock overgrown in Vegetation in the 1950's
West Grinstead Lock cira 1950

The canal followed the course of Pike brook joining the river Adur just above the Bridge near Butcher's Row at West Grinstead. The final couple of miles were unremarkable, generally following the Adur river. The last lock was at Locks Farm about half mile west of Partridge Green which marked the start of the navigation. Decline set in with the construction of the Shoreham to Horsham Railway line, which include the construction of a station and goods sidings at West Grinstead. The canal cease to operate around 1875, however it is unclear whether it was closed by an act of Parliament. 

Find out more information on canals in the Sussex Bookshop...

Return to the Sussex Waterways Home...
Return to the Sussex Main Page...

 

 


(c) 2000 Garlands Internet