Waterways of Sussex
Wey and Arun Canal

The Wey & Arun Canal was built to link the Rivers Wey and Arun to form an inland waterway route between London and the South Coast. Parts of the route were navigable as early as 1575, but the final link was not completed until 1816. 
The Wey & Arun Canal consisted of two sections. The first section was the Arun Navigation, which gave trading vessels access to Newbridge Wharf (near Billingshurst) and was opened in 1787. The other part was the Wey & Arun Junction Canal, which ran from Newbridge to Shalford (near Guildford), and was opened in 1816. 
Following the Industrial Revolution, commercial trade on the canal gradually increased, with 23000 tons carried at its peak in 1839. However, after 1840 traffic was lost to the railways. This resulted in closure of the canal in 1868 and legal abandonment three years later. 
Trade still continued on the Wey Navigation (which runs between the Thames and Guildford). The Wey Navigation is now owned by the National Trust and is a very successful recreational waterway. 
West Grinstead Lock overgrown in Vegetation in the 1950's

The original Wey & Arun canal was 23 miles long, about 25 feet wide and 3 feet deep. There were three aqueducts and 26 locks, built large enough to accommodate barges up to about 11 feet wide and about 67 feet long. 


Find out more information on canals in the Sussex Bookshop...

Return to the Sussex Waterways Home...
Return to the Sussex Main Page...




(c) 2000 Garlands Internet