The arrival of the Type 80 in early 1953
changed the whole concept of Rotor bunker. It was realised that it
could provide CEW and GCI functions at one installation. It was also
found that on exercises, it was far easier to control the
interceptors from the radar site itself. There was simply too long a
delay in the transfer of data in the original Rotor concept.
With the Soviet H-bomb in 1955 and the
advent of supersonic, high-flying bombers, every second saved in
warning and control was vital. A system designed to counter a 400
mph piston-engine bomber just could not cope with the new threat.
The system of Master Radar Stations (MRS) was conceived.
With the Type 80, warning and control
could both be handled at the same site with the same radar. The
superior range of this radar meant that fewer sites were needed.
Although many Rotor sites became Master Radar Stations, many more
became redundant, The surplus sites, some less than two years old,
were cleared and transferred to other government departments.
In Sussex three Rotor bunker exist varying in condition
(five miles due north of Shoreham)
private ownership and visits are actively discourage. The bungalow
is in good condition as is the bunker. The site is used by BT for
their microwave data circuits (from Shoreham telephone exchange) and
pager network. Other Licence operators also use the site for Local
radio etc. The site has an excellent web site at
west of Eastbourne)
Demolished – The
bungalow has been demolished and the shafts sealed. The only
evidence of it existence is a manhole cover, some rubble and
curiously a public telephone box!
Web sire at
The main giveaway is the very distinctive, which stands over the
entrance to the underground bunker complex. The design of this
bungalow has features common to many GPO telephone exchanges (the
bungalow is virtually identical to the UAX13 Telephone exchange
building in Linfield, West Sussex). One cannot but wonder if they
came from the same Ministry of Works drawing office. The circular
fanlights and verandas make for a very attractive building.
Other sites of
Aspidistra – This site was originally home
to a high-power (500 kW) medium wave broadcasting transmitter, built
for the Political Warfare Executive (PWE) in WWII. This transmitter
was purchased in the USA in 1941 and consisted of three 170-kW units
connected in series.
The BBC obtained partial use of the station from
8th November 1942 to broadcast its European Service at other times
this transmitter, known colloquially as Aspidistra, was used
by the PWE for `black' broadcasting. This started on 30th January
- Horsham was the Royal Observer Corps'
No.2 Group HQ, and the UKWMO Metropolitan Sector HQ
World War 2 Radar Stations
Poling – CHL Station WW2 and a part of the Truliegh – Stanmore link
Trundle – Unknown
Fairlight CHL for the Hasting Area
Pevensey – CHS
Rye - CHS
Information for this page came from the subbrit website and
acknowledgment is given. - link